Monday, February 9, 2009

If You're Happy and You Know It . . .

For most of my adult life I wouldn't describe me as "happy."  I was an angry teenager, a stressed college student, and a depressed young mother.  But recently I have discovered the happier side of life.  This weekend we spent some time with Cory and Sharon and we started talking about being happy.  I asked if money and time weren't a deterrent, what would make you the most happy?  Sharon and Matt said they would pay off their mortgage and travel.  I of course would go somewhere Disney.  Disneyland, Disneyworld, Disney Cruise Line, and after that I would see the wonders of the world.  Unfortunately, time and money are deterrents and most of that wouldn't be possible, at least right now.  But that got me thinking.  There are actually A LOT of things in my life that make me happy. 
When I see my kids using their imaginations and working together to solve problems - I'm happy. 
When my husband comes home with a love poem he has written especially for me - I'm happy. 
When I create designs that clients awe and think are awesome - I'm happy. 
When one of my Beehives asks questions and then suddenly something just clicks with them - I'm happy.
When the house is clean and the laundry is done - I'm happy.
When I hear my two children bear their testimonies on fast Sunday- I'm happy.
When I'm having a bad day at work and my bosses tell me to go spend time with my family - I'm happy.
When I go get a drink and drive around with my mom, just talking - I'm happy.
When I learn something new and amazing about the gospel - I'm happy.
When I read a good book or watch a great movie - I'm happy.
Mostly, when I get to spend time with family watching a "cheesy" movie, dreaming about vacations to Hawaii, having dinner, or celebrating something - I'm happy.

Sure I have downer moments, everyone does, but my life is good.  It is full of love, family, and fun and what else is there really!?!

3 comments:

Matt said...

I would like to point something out that makes Abby happy: having the laundry done. Chalk another one up to my theory. I'm happy when Abby is happy. I'm so very greatful for her good attitude and love for life. She keeps me young. You're the best honey and i love you.

Here at home said...

Getting a full nights sleep makes me happy. Having a clean house makes me happy. Spending time with family and friends makes me happy. Reading scriptures makes me happy. Attending the temple and Sunday services make me happy. Children's laughter and funny sayings make me happy.
Thanks for that great reminder that the little things in life are what matter - we can be happy with the day-to-day things.

born2bhappy said...

Happiness is all around you, you just have to stop and smell the roses and it pops up right in front of you. I am glad that you took the time to think about what really makes you happy. It never is money or worldly things. They are pleasure not happiness. Today you are using your head. Ha, ha.