Monday, January 5, 2009

It's a Conspiracy!

One of the things that I want to do a little better on is Family Home Evening.  So, for FHE tonight I made a cute little handout and we would be talking about bearing our testimonies, and the five components that make up a testimony:
1.   God is our loving Father in Heaven
2.  His Son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior and Redeemer
3.  Joseph Smith was a prophet of God
4.  The Church of Jesus Christ is the Lords Church on Earth.
5.  The Church is led by a living prophet, President Monson, who receives revelation.
In my opinion, even adults should learn what a testimony is and what a testimony isn't.  After we talked about the components of a testimony, we would invite Jenny's family and mom and dad over so Jeremy and Bailee could bear their testimonies to their family.
So here is my handout:
Testimony Fingers
The reason I decided to have this particular FHE is because yesterday, Bailee wanted to bear her testimony.  So she practiced it with me (Matt and I are of the opinion that if they want to bear their testimonies, they go up on their own, without mom or dad telling them what to say) and this is what Bailee came up with:
"Stand and bear my testimony.  I love Jesus.  I liked all my toys from Christmas.  Bless the food.  Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
After about 20 minutes of Matt trying to tell her that you don't bless the food in testimony meeting, I decided that they needed a FHE lesson about testimonies.
So, it is 4:30 and I am all ready for FHE tonight.  One of the better lessons I have put together if I do say so myself, and then . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
I get a phone call.  Mom and Dad are just barely getting to Cedar City to switch cars with Linsey.  It was snowing like crazy so they won't be home until 9 or 10 tonight.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, we would just have FHE without them.  But, Jeremy rode down there with them.  So FHE is canceled until Thursday.  But I am sure something will come up so we won't be able to do it.  It's a conspiracy I tell ya.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The standard of truth has been erected. no unhallowed hand shall stop the work from progressing (or FHE). persecutions may rage (or storms), mobs may combine, army's may assemble, and calumny may defame. but the purposes of God (FHE) will go forth boldy, nobly, and independent til it has penetrated every continent, visited every climb, swept every country, and sounded in every ear (the children's mainly). til the purposes of god shall be accomplished (FHE) and the Great Jehovah shall say "the work is done."

Still from memory, with my own additions. :)

Here at home said...

Wow, Matt, that was good.
Well, Abby, never give up. You're all prepared for next week it looks like.
What a great idea for FHE. I will have to copy that. It's about time my boys learned what a testimony is. Cory was almost going to take one of them up yesterday, but they probably all would have followed, so he didn't.
That's kind of funny that Bailee blessed the food.

Bonnie said...

That is a great FHE idea. I really need to do it for my kids. They don't like to go up in front of everyone which is fine as they encourage kids to "practice" their testimonies at home until they are old enough to go up and bear a testimony out of sincerity and because they really have one. I just want to know they have one is all. I will have to borrow this idea.

Hope they get back safe. Nasty weather!

Bailey Family said...

Hey send some of that snow my way. I'm ready for a real winter not just cold weather!! My kids love FHE so I just might barrow your Idea. Have a great week and I hope that well will be calling you with some type of news.

born2bhappy said...

I am sorry about the cog in the wheel. It certainly wasn't planned that way. Maybe you were just supposed to have FHE on Thursday for some reason, who knows. Anyway, It is the thought that counts and it will be great on Thursday too.