Growing up in my family (and my extended family) we were all really close in age. I never had baby nieces or nephew or anything close to that. So imagine my surprise when Matt took me to Richfield for Christmas Eve for the first time. Let me just preface this. I came from a family where we would all sit around the room and each take turns opening Christmas presents and comment on what each person received. We would sit around the dinner table complete with center piece politely talking about current events, school, and church happenings.
Fast forward to Christmas Eve 2001. I was wearing my nicest pants and a festive sweater. Upon our first arrival, little Garrett came up to me and I picked him up and we started to play. I don’t know how it happened, but within 10 minutes my clothes were filthy. There was frosting, dirt, and some kind of white paste (I’m thinking diaper rash cream). Oh well, those little guys were so cute and they really liked me. After a while, it was getting time for dinner so I looked around for the table expecting Christmas China and flowers. After the prayer was said, the kids filled their plates and headed downstairs. So biggie, it was more fun to sit around and talk with all the adults. Then Santa came. As everyone was sitting on Santa’s lap, Cindy slowing began making separate piles of gifts. After Santa left, the kids were all sitting in front of their gifts on the floor. This was my favorite part. I have always enjoyed little children’s reactions to the gifts they receive. Picture little Connor and Garrett hovering over a pile of presents, a mania was filling their eyes, it was almost like an eagle about to strike on its poor unsuspecting prey. I was standing in the the hall between the kitchen and the living when Cindy screamed, “GO!!” Suddenly paper was flying everywhere and kids were screaming with delight. I was shocked! I was so shocked that I backed myself in a corner and almost took the fetal position for protection. Matt was looking around and saw my reaction and he just started laughing. I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. After a few minutes, the madness was over and each grandchild went about their business of sorting, and playing with their toys. My heart rate went back to normal and all was right in the world again. But let me say, that was the most memorable first impression that I have ever had. :)
Friday, April 30, 2010
Day 13 – A First Impression
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wow, that is crazy. Nothing like we do here. I probably would have done the same thing you did. What a first impression.
I always thought that kind of mania was known everywhere and that's one of the things that made Christmas so awesome! Sheer carnage, but in a good way. When it was all going on I thought that I had lost Abby in the Mêlée, like maybe she'd been sucked in the under current of flying wrapping paper and energy. I didn't understand at first why she was in the corner, but then it dawned on me and I couldn't help but chuckle.
That would definitely be a cultural shock for anyone of our such refined behavior. It's great that there are so many different ways to celebrate holidays.
I'm still not sure what I think of that tradition. It is fun to watch the kids go crazy, but at my house I still like to take it slow. Cory and I still haven't been able to find a compromise.
Crazy! I'm glad that Justins family does it about the same as we do. Except they play music to let the kids know that it's time. Fun crazy traditions.
Post a Comment