I have realized that I need to re-wire my brain. Now that Matt has decided to go back to school, he spends all his nights studying here:
Which leaves me with the responsibility of cooking dinner (Yikes), helping the kids get ready for bed, cleaning, etc. It has been years since Matt was last in school and I have gotten used to the fact that Matt was home at 5:15 everyday, cooking dinner, and hanging out at night. Now, however, he gets home from work at 5:15 heads into the spare bedroom and cracks the books until my almost inedible dinner is ready, then he comes out and eats and goes back into that room until around 1AM and then he comes to bed.
The kids have been patient with me trying to adjust to this new situation. Because I don't cook, my brain doesn't register certain precautionary signals until it is too late. I was browning hamburger for spaghetti. I was in the kitchen sitting down reading a magazine, when I looked up and notice smoke from the stove. I had burnt the hamburger to a crisp. "Hmm," I thought to myself, "Its just spaghetti, I bet they won't even notice that it is burnt because there will be noodles and sauce." So I mixed it all together and Voila!! dinner is served. The kids came upstairs and started eating. Their faces slowly changed from excitement to confusion. Then Jeremy asked, "Um Mom, did you cook dinner?" I informed him that I did in fact cook dinner, and he just said "oh" and proceeded to finish his dinner. Needless to say, I plan on buying many frozen dinners to get my little family through this month.
After the kids are in bed I spend the rest of the night finding things to keep me busy so I don't cave and beg Matt to stop studying and be with me.
It's not all bad though. Now that Jeremy sees his dad studying and doing homework, he gets all sorts of excited to do his. He has even honed in on Matt's workspace.
And a smile comes to my face when I walked into the bedroom and saw this:
They are so cute, father and son, "studying" t
ogether. Jeremy is reading very well now too.
So now, I just need to tell my brain that Matt is hitting the books hard for a month and then there will be a break before school begins. Twice a week for two years isn't bad right?

5 comments:
The one thing you can always count on is change. Just when you get used to life the way it is it has to change to keep us on our toes. Hang in there, it will soon by the norm for you after 2 years.
You go girl! Nothing like good ole change to keep us hopping. Good luck!
You can do it abby! If I can do it everyday for 4 years you can handle twice a week. You go girl
It's great that the boy comes in and study's with me. It sure is easier to get him to do his reading than it was last year. So much reading...soo much reading.
Awesome, change is good. If we didn't have change then life would get boring. Its cute jeremy does his homework with his dad. That's so cool. Just plow through and you will make it.
Post a Comment