Let me start off by saying that I am not a feminist. I don't believe that women should be able to do everything that men do. We each have our different responsibilities, both equally important. That being said, this week I am suppose to give a lesson on Homemaking. Growing up whenever I head the word Homemaker I thought of cooking, cleaning, laundry, wiping kids noses, and sewing. As I read over that list, I realized that I do VERY little of any of that. However, there is a difference between housekeeping and homemaking. The church has a different idea of the duties of a homemaker.
Sister Spafford states: "Homemaking takes into account the spiritual values: love, peace, tranquility, harmony among family members, security. It makes a place of residence a spot to which family members can retire from a confused and troubled world and find understanding and rejuvenation. Its character is quietness; it evidences good taste, culture, refinement. Men, women, and children alike have their individual contributions to make a good home and family life, and each shares in its benefits."
Although I do not cook or do laundry, I consider myself a homemaker. I strive and put all my efforts toward making my home a place where faith and testimonies can grow, a place that is welcoming and comfortable. I am so grateful for the knowledge of my divine roles, and whenever I start to feel like I am not doing enough, I can look back and realize that I am taking care of the important things first, and the rest will work itself out one way or another.
Friday, February 20, 2009
My Divine Role
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You do work very hard at making our home a safe haven from the world, and you do a fantastic job at it. I'm grateful for all that you do to make our house a home. You're the best sweetheart, and I love you very much.
Isn't it nice to have confirmation that we are doing okay in that department. We should never judge ourselves by the world's standards. The Lord's is much more encompassing. Way to go daughter.
you are a great home maker because your house is a place where you and others love to be.
Post a Comment